Skip to main content

Permission to Come Aboard...


Picture credit here

"Atteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen-shun!"

31 bodies in immaculate white uniforms snapped smartly to attention, sitting rigidly in their seats. 29 cadets with faces unsure of how this person standing in front of them would be - strict, rigid, disciplined?... or relaxed, easy-going, and a slacker for the rules? The 2 officers among them looked cool and unaffected.

I walked briskly but surely to the table at the front of the room, put my things down, and faced the class.

The cadet-in-charge for the day got up from her seat and walked smartly in my direction. Upon reaching the spot exactly half a metre from me she halted and snapped to attention.

"Assalamualaikum sir!" She said in a clear, clipped voice. "29 cadets and 2 officers reporting for duty, requesting permission to carry on, sir!"

As if by imprinted on a cellular level, my body responded almost automatically through half-remembered gestures and nuances.I was transported to another place, and another time, where instead of clean white uniforms, I saw the dark blue uniforms of the cadets of the Royal Malaysian Police...

I realised I too was standing at attention.

"Carry on" I responded, also speaking in clear, clipped tones.

This was going to be interesting... Teaching English to Officer Cadets of the Royal Navy.

Comments

izzati fuad said…
wah...are u in lumut?
Yana Ismail said…
huhu..teringat my bro..alaahai..rindu;(

mesti mereka seronok. u ajar..huhu;)
Ijat,
Yeah,i'm here in lumut..wanna keep me company? :-)

Liyana,
I'm having a great time teaching here..d cadets are really nice students..UTM students can sure learn a thing or two frm them
izzati fuad said…
nak! nak! i jalan-jalan,cik lah mengajar la ye? :P ahaha
Anonymous said…
Sir..........
Vulcan team reported.....
thank for teaching us sir............
www.cereal_89@yahoo.com
Yana Ismail said…
Huhu,memang kami blh blajar bykk dr mereka,huhu.nk ikot jalan2 jgak,huhu
Anonymous said…
On board a ship???
Vulcan,
It was a pleasure to have you on board.. :-)

Anonymous,
It's a figure of speech,u nincompoop! ;-)
Hehehe..
Anonymous said…
Sir,would u send the picture that we took all of it ....
send at my email....



www.cereal_89@yahoo.com
Syafiq,
I will upload to my flickr and then give u the url

Liyana,
Sorry...I dah sampai rumah pagi td... hehehehehe...
Guys,

here is the link to the flickr url
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16870599@N03/3083991400/
Syafiq Suraji said…
sir, u r teaching navy cadets huh..
surely no latecomers like me aite?..
btw enjoy ur new experience...
Chuck,

Latecomers are severely punished in the navy...
Anonymous said…
Assauslep http://buy-eriacta.wikidot.com http://buy-erectalis.wikidot.com http://comprare-viagra.wikidot.com Assauslep
Anonymous said…
Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?
Anonymous said…
[color=#99aadd]Hello, prompt how to arrive please in the given situation. Has bought recently colour printer, the printer worked regularly month.
Then began to print indistinctly and words it was not visible at all, I have thought, that the paint in the printer has ended.
Friends said to me, that in some printers it is possible to add a paint in a cartridge, instead of to buy new[/color] [url=http://cartridge2009.atspace.com/map.html]ink cartridge[/url].
[color=#99aadd]I descended in shop and have looked cost new cartridge, the prices very high. Whether prompt it is possible for me to buy a new cartridge, and to add[/color] [url=http://cartridge2009.atspace.com]ink cartridge[/url].
[color=#99aadd]My printer HP. In advance, thanks. I wait for your help.[/color]
Anonymous said…
RaistUrifsraw [url=http://usr-ict.cs.unicam.it/members/Levitra-senza-ricetta-comprare-Levitra-prescrizione-medica.aspx]viagra cialis levitra[/url] Levitra [url=http://thinkmobile.it/members/Kamagra-quanto-costa-in-farmacia-Compra-Kamagra-in-Italia/default.aspx]Kamagra acquisto on-line safeKamagra ohne Rezept[/url] Kamagra [url=http://sicilia.tostring.it/members/Comprare-Kamagra-online-senza-ricetta/default.aspx]Kamagra acquisto on-line safeKamagra ohne Rezept[/url] Kamagra [url=http://sicilia.tostring.it/members/Comprare-Cialis-online-senza-ricetta/default.aspx]cheap cialis[/url] Cialis Illituddy
Anonymous said…
RaistUrifsraw [url=https://launchpad.net/~buy-codeine-online-without-prescription]codeine[/url] Codeine [url=https://launchpad.net/~buy-vicodin-es-without-prescription]how to get high on vicodin[/url] Vicodin ES [url=https://launchpad.net/~buy-flagyl-without-prescription]side effects in flagyl[/url] Flagyl [url=https://launchpad.net/~buy-bactrim-without-prescription]bactrim ds[/url] Bactrim
Anonymous said…
Katheplyclalt [url=http://wiki.openqa.org/display/~buy-differin-no-prescription-online]Buy Differin no prescription online[/url] [url=http://manatee-boating.org/members/Order-cheap-Codeine-online.aspx]Order cheap Codeine online[/url]

Popular posts from this blog

Premature Mid-Life Crisis?

"Sejak bila lu jadi mat rempit beb?" (Translation: Since when did you become a street racer?) Were the first words that blazed onto the screen of my Dopod PDA Phone when I told my cousin that I had bought a bike. I mean...Is it that strange that I happened to work my butt off, save up, and buy one of the meanest most beautiful bikes I ever set my eyes on? I mean...just look at it... Shiny jet black finish, laced with highlights of blazing red, topped with rugged racing streaks...  I think I just wiped a tear off my face... No, no, don't get all worked up... I haven't gone off the wall. It's just that with the increase in fuel price, it seems silly to spend RM600 just going to and from work every day... Think about it, that's a month and a half's pay for my maid! Just to get to and from work!  So, I figured this would be a good compromise - maybe 2 or 3 days a week going to work by bike, and going to the local stores, local eateries, and even the local mosq...

TESL my TESL...

Every journey has a beginning, and an ending... And thus, my wonderful journey that I embarked on as a lecturer to my first Drama in Education cohort is almost coming to an end... I remember seeing them all, one by one, their faces eager to learn, but shying away in the beginning, all reserved in the small cocoons of their own little worlds... And when they opened up, one by one, I saw in them different, beautiful personalities, each unique in their own way... each finding a place in my affections...and eventually each finding a place in my heart. Yesterday night was a special night that marked the ending of this journey with them, on the one hand a sense of overwhelming pride that I had directly played a part in their journeys as teachers, building the very foundation of our nation, and even more so, as human beings, being the very essence of who they were and what they became... To commemorate this night, I sang for them... A tune that they all knew and loved... A tune that we shared...

The Ones That Got Away : The sign

I couldn't believe it! I actually managed to pass my Chemistry Finals!!! All the blood, sweat and tears that went into trying to understand my most hated subject finally paid off... I held the result slip in my hand, not daring to let go... As if letting go would mean that I would let go of the pass that I had obtained. I smiled. We both knew we would finally be where we dreamed of the entire time we were in school... University. That magical place where dreams would be made into reality. That place where we could become all that we wanted to become... To start our journeys into adulthood, into the real world. And so when we got our offer letters, it was with mixed feelings that I said goodbye to her... Part of me was sad because it meant going our separate ways, but part of me was excited to start a new chapter in my life... I guess it didn't make a difference back then, because I knew that in my heart of hearts, we would be together in the end, no matter how long or winding t...