Skip to main content

The Venician Pizza Guy


Inspiration...

It comes to us in many different ways, in many different shapes...
Some of us search high and low to the ends of the Earth looking for it.
For some it just comes when we least expect it.
And for a few lucky people, it comes and visits quite a few times throughout their lifetime.

For me, one of these rare moments came from the most unexpected of places, in the most unexpected of times...

Venice, the City of Romance...

Its lush waterways and canals enticing every single soul that sets its eyes upon them... A magical wonderland, with the Renaissance lingering in the very air that the city breathes...

Venice...the City of Romance...

And me nursing a broken heart, which I had left behind somewhere in the Highlands of Scotland...

Irony at its finest...


It was summer, and summer in England was nowhere like summer in Italy. We were roasting in the sweltering heat, sweat continuously pouring down our foreheads...
My cousin and I had arrived in Venice for a couple of hours, and were having quite a difficult time getting a hotel. Tourist season was at its peak, and we were caught in its wake...
After two hours of hotel-hunting we decide to take a break, and this quaint little trattoria (an informal restaurant or tavern serving simple Italian dishes) comes into view...
Where we see this bustling, energised waiter moving about, from table to table... The spring in his step was reminiscent of Mohammed Ali in his prime, 'floating like a butterfly, and stinging like a bee', and his hands were like the rollers in an automated carwash...

Spray spray spray...

Spin spin spin...

Wipe wipe wipe...

And as if by magic the tables were shining new, as if they had just come out of the furniture store...
And to top it all off, he was doing everything with a smile on his face!
Will wonders never cease?!
In Malaysia the best you can get from the people waiting for you would be a curt nod, or a grunt to indicate they heard you (though I'm sure this isn't the picture for ALL Malaysians...Heavens No...)

And it wasn't just that he was smiling everywhere...

He greeted almost everyone that passed by the place, though I'm sure he knew most of the people there by heart already...
It was 'Ciao!' (the Italian greeting) here and 'Ciao!' there, and he would strike up a conversation with them, all the while his body was moving about wiping tables and serving customers...

It was like watching poetry in motion...

If this guy could do all that, still maintain his cool in the sweltering heat, and look like he was as happy as a sparrow in flight... If he could be this happy...
Then there was no reason why I couldn't...
Broken heart or no, for the first time in a week that I was hurting inside...

I actually felt happy...

Thank you for becoming my inspiration...

Mr Venician Pizza Guy...


Comments

azie said…
geez!!

u're back!

that guy looks cute,ehehehe

no, no..not the italian..the malaysian,hikhikhikhik
Awwwww Shucks...
(Blushing and twiddling my feet around)

Hehehehehe...
Yana Ismail said…
I want to say the same thing too:)

That Malaysian guy is cute. Auwww~huhuhu
Missus A said…
how's the new place ? :)
Princess...
(Blushing even harder and hiding under the table) ;)

CC,
Still not moved in yet...everything's a nightmare... The people putting up the grille have done a piss-poor job. They managed to put 3 grilles where they didn't belong, un-drilled them and put them where they should be, leaving behind gaping holes in my beautiful new walls...The painting was shoddy, the fitting terrible... and we thought we wanted to help the Malays, by taking on a Malay guy to do the job...

Boy were we wrong... Dead wrong...

I weep for my people and the quality of work they give...
azie said…
i can imagine u blush and twiddle ur feet.ahahaha

1000 times cuter tau,ahaha
Yana Ismail said…
auwww..cute bangat:)uhuhu

Popular posts from this blog

Help is always far away

Help is never far away. That is the old adage that has been drummed into us ever since we were young. No matter where you are, and what difficulty you are going through, someone will be close at hand to help. Except they aren't. Many a time no one in your vicinity gives a rat's ass. Or could be in a mess of their own to even think that someone else may need the support. Just that little bit of assurance to show that they care. Sometimes it can be in the smallest things. A kind word. A check up of how one is doing. Yet help does come. Someone takes the time to respond, in short messages, all the way from across the Pacific Ocean. Someone does take the time to relate, and share their own experiences, and offers words of comfort from across the country. Yes, help is at hand, but it is always far away. *picture credit here

The Forbidden Kingdom No More

Yesterday is a day that would forever go down the sands of time as... "The Day I Fed Two Hundred Ravenous Mouths with Bottomless Pits" Oh the horror!... The Pain!... The Suffering!!! Like a swarm of locusts they came, wave upon wave upon wave... Like a farmer protecting his crop I could only look on and stare, as they darkened the sky, before zeroing in for the kill... Tears streamed down my eyes as I watched them strip every last grain of maize and corn that I had planted at the begininning of the year... My knees thudded to the ground, as I numbly watched the carnage around me, my tired brain barely registering what my eyes perceived. "So this is what it feels like"... I thought in my brain... "This thing called Open House" . .. ... Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I'm just being dramatic here ;) Yesterday was actually a day that I'm going to remember for a long time, simply because it was graced with the presence of those eager young minds I he

My nightmare come true

This is it. It's finally happened. The stuff of bad dreams for many language teachers has today materialised for me, rearing its ugly head, scoffing at my abilities as a language professional. This is an actual letter from one of my students as part of their coursework. Final year student. Soon to graduate and meet the workforce of the nation. Read it and weep...