Skip to main content

The Venician Pizza Guy


Inspiration...

It comes to us in many different ways, in many different shapes...
Some of us search high and low to the ends of the Earth looking for it.
For some it just comes when we least expect it.
And for a few lucky people, it comes and visits quite a few times throughout their lifetime.

For me, one of these rare moments came from the most unexpected of places, in the most unexpected of times...

Venice, the City of Romance...

Its lush waterways and canals enticing every single soul that sets its eyes upon them... A magical wonderland, with the Renaissance lingering in the very air that the city breathes...

Venice...the City of Romance...

And me nursing a broken heart, which I had left behind somewhere in the Highlands of Scotland...

Irony at its finest...


It was summer, and summer in England was nowhere like summer in Italy. We were roasting in the sweltering heat, sweat continuously pouring down our foreheads...
My cousin and I had arrived in Venice for a couple of hours, and were having quite a difficult time getting a hotel. Tourist season was at its peak, and we were caught in its wake...
After two hours of hotel-hunting we decide to take a break, and this quaint little trattoria (an informal restaurant or tavern serving simple Italian dishes) comes into view...
Where we see this bustling, energised waiter moving about, from table to table... The spring in his step was reminiscent of Mohammed Ali in his prime, 'floating like a butterfly, and stinging like a bee', and his hands were like the rollers in an automated carwash...

Spray spray spray...

Spin spin spin...

Wipe wipe wipe...

And as if by magic the tables were shining new, as if they had just come out of the furniture store...
And to top it all off, he was doing everything with a smile on his face!
Will wonders never cease?!
In Malaysia the best you can get from the people waiting for you would be a curt nod, or a grunt to indicate they heard you (though I'm sure this isn't the picture for ALL Malaysians...Heavens No...)

And it wasn't just that he was smiling everywhere...

He greeted almost everyone that passed by the place, though I'm sure he knew most of the people there by heart already...
It was 'Ciao!' (the Italian greeting) here and 'Ciao!' there, and he would strike up a conversation with them, all the while his body was moving about wiping tables and serving customers...

It was like watching poetry in motion...

If this guy could do all that, still maintain his cool in the sweltering heat, and look like he was as happy as a sparrow in flight... If he could be this happy...
Then there was no reason why I couldn't...
Broken heart or no, for the first time in a week that I was hurting inside...

I actually felt happy...

Thank you for becoming my inspiration...

Mr Venician Pizza Guy...


Comments

azie said…
geez!!

u're back!

that guy looks cute,ehehehe

no, no..not the italian..the malaysian,hikhikhikhik
Abdullah said…
Awwwww Shucks...
(Blushing and twiddling my feet around)

Hehehehehe...
Princess Liyana said…
I want to say the same thing too:)

That Malaysian guy is cute. Auwww~huhuhu
Bargain Books said…
how's the new place ? :)
Abdullah said…
Princess...
(Blushing even harder and hiding under the table) ;)

CC,
Still not moved in yet...everything's a nightmare... The people putting up the grille have done a piss-poor job. They managed to put 3 grilles where they didn't belong, un-drilled them and put them where they should be, leaving behind gaping holes in my beautiful new walls...The painting was shoddy, the fitting terrible... and we thought we wanted to help the Malays, by taking on a Malay guy to do the job...

Boy were we wrong... Dead wrong...

I weep for my people and the quality of work they give...
azie said…
i can imagine u blush and twiddle ur feet.ahahaha

1000 times cuter tau,ahaha
Princess Liyana said…
auwww..cute bangat:)uhuhu

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness

How does one forgive someone who has done them and their loved ones so much wrong?

This is a question that I struggle with, and have always struggled with for a long time. 
How does one push past the pain and suffering that a person had willingly caused, worse yet, caused to someone that they loved. We stand at the sidelines, and feel ourselves slighted, yet the pain we feel is minuscule, compared to the earth-shattering hurt our loved one experiences. Yet we are powerless, drowning in a helplessness, grasping for any lifeline that can pull ourselves out from the deep. 
How can we let go when hatred is all we know. A hatred that festered from seeds of dislike. This poison that we feed ourselves. Yet it is all we know. 
How does one tell oneself to let go?
If a person murders your son, and returns a month later, saying he is genuinely sorry; what would you do? He comes in and says he will pay for the cleaning bill, to wipe the blood stains off the floor, and to send the carpet for dry…

The End

I am in a hotel room.

It is unclear who else is in the room. It must be my family. But I am uncertain. I know I am in the room with people I love.

The hotel room is in a building that towers above ground level, and we can see all the houses below.

I am in Hawaii I think. How I know that I do not know. All I know is that we are beside the ocean.

I feel unsettled as I look out the window. Something is compelling me to look outside the window. It is getting dark. But I know by right it should not be dark. It is midday. And then I see it.

In front of me a huge storm cloud is gathering. But I start to quiver because it looks like no ordinary storm. The clouds are pitch black. Black as death. My eyes follow their shape to where they originate. I gasp.

I see a gigantic water spout, a tornado in the ocean, funnelling its energy to the black cloud. The water spout is also pitch black. Rain now pours uncontrollably. It is a hurricane at its full blast, but not just that. It is much, much more.

Aku, Bini dan Ginger Beer

Aku haus...

Tekakku yang kering ini menginginkan rasanya yang menenangkan jiwa itu...

Perasaannya apabila ku menggenggam botol kacanya yang sejuk dan berwap-wap dan mengangkatnya keluar peti ais kecilku, perasaannya seperti seorang kanak-kanak Taman Keramat memegang aiskrim Malaysia 10sen pada hari yang panas membara...

Riang... Nikmat... Penantian yang menyiksakan, tetapi penantian yang lazat...

Dengan pergerakan yang perlahan seperti 'slow-motion' dalam sinetron Indonesia kegemaran surirumah-surirumah di Malaysia, muncung botol Ginger Beer kegemaranku mampir bibirku yang terketar-ketar sedikit, sehinggalah aku dapat rasa cecair yang sejuk membasahi tekakku...

Nikmat...

Sedap tidak terperi...

Aku menghulurkan kepada biniku, dan dia juga meneguk kenikmatan...

Aku menadah tangan meminta kembali Ginger Beer kesayanganku yang berjenama Bundaberg buatan New Zealand.

Saat itu tidak tiba-tiba...

Aku tertanya-tanya... Mata terkebil-kebil...

"Ni saya punya ya Bang..." ujar …