Skip to main content

One thing you can't beat here

Although moving in with my parents takes more than a little adjustment, there is one thing that you can't beat here.

It's the ability to take your work literally outdoors.

Right now, it's 10.30am on a Monday morning. I've attended the monthly address by the UTM Vice-Chancellor, made a few important phone calls, and had breakfast.

Only thing is I realise I made a boo-boo.

The key to my room/office is attached to the keyring that holds my car-keys.

My car-keys are used for my car.

My car is being used by my wife.

This would mean:
1.0 I have no keys to my office
  1.1 I cannot enter my office
  1.2 I cannot do the work that I have to do
  1.3 Feeling sheepish, and a little annoyed. Perfect for a palm-to-forehead moment.

2.0 I am using my bike
  2.1 I look frickin'cool wearing an all black suit, black half-cut gloves and a deep-red full-face racing helmet, racing along on what appears to be a superbike.
  2.2 I do not feel secure lugging around my laptop on my bike, as the previous painful theft of my university Macbook has taught me that you can never be too careful with laptops. I had to pay replace that by the way.
    2.2.1 I do not bring my laptop to work, thinking I could always just use the computer in my office. Belatedly I realise I do not have a key to my office.
      2.2.1.1 I really must fight the urge to slap my forehead.

3.0 I cannot do anything productive at the office
  3.1 Because of the reasons above, I am forced to go back home (my parents' place) and start working there.

And so, here I am, outside, with laptop open under the gazebo, complete with tethered Internet connection (courtesy of my iPhone), in the garden, on a beautiful Monday morning, enjoying the beautiful scenery while typing on my laptop.

Ahh.. Ain't much that can top that I assure you.




SHARE THIS





Comments

Cat-in-Sydney said…
Har har har! You need ginko biloba, mate! Oh, there's one such tree in the Christchurch Botanical Gardens. Palm on forehead moment indeed. purrr...meow!
Razee Salleh said…
Hi Bro,

Thanks for this, I really needed a good laugh. c",)
Abdullah said…
Cat - still keeping my fingers crossed

Razee - hehehe...
Fauziah Ismail said…
Salam,
Its either the office or somewhere else (Starbucks!!!) than the house for me ... I can't seem to work from home, not that there are too many distractions!
Abdullah said…
Sis - one of the things that helps me when I have to work at home is to wear work clothes.. complete with socks and shoes if necessary.. klu x mmg x jalan keje.. hehe..
Also, I'm kind of avoiding coffee for now, so Starbucks (my one true love) is momentarily out of the question for now :(
percicilan said…
I can work anywhere as long as it's a place that doesnt make me drip with perspiration.

Current favorite is TheCurve. Heh
Abdullah said…
CC - you spoilt brat you... hehehe...
MuNie said…
hahaha.. lecturer is originally a student btw. ^^

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness

How does one forgive someone who has done them and their loved ones so much wrong?

This is a question that I struggle with, and have always struggled with for a long time. 
How does one push past the pain and suffering that a person had willingly caused, worse yet, caused to someone that they loved. We stand at the sidelines, and feel ourselves slighted, yet the pain we feel is minuscule, compared to the earth-shattering hurt our loved one experiences. Yet we are powerless, drowning in a helplessness, grasping for any lifeline that can pull ourselves out from the deep. 
How can we let go when hatred is all we know. A hatred that festered from seeds of dislike. This poison that we feed ourselves. Yet it is all we know. 
How does one tell oneself to let go?
If a person murders your son, and returns a month later, saying he is genuinely sorry; what would you do? He comes in and says he will pay for the cleaning bill, to wipe the blood stains off the floor, and to send the carpet for dry…

The End

I am in a hotel room.

It is unclear who else is in the room. It must be my family. But I am uncertain. I know I am in the room with people I love.

The hotel room is in a building that towers above ground level, and we can see all the houses below.

I am in Hawaii I think. How I know that I do not know. All I know is that we are beside the ocean.

I feel unsettled as I look out the window. Something is compelling me to look outside the window. It is getting dark. But I know by right it should not be dark. It is midday. And then I see it.

In front of me a huge storm cloud is gathering. But I start to quiver because it looks like no ordinary storm. The clouds are pitch black. Black as death. My eyes follow their shape to where they originate. I gasp.

I see a gigantic water spout, a tornado in the ocean, funnelling its energy to the black cloud. The water spout is also pitch black. Rain now pours uncontrollably. It is a hurricane at its full blast, but not just that. It is much, much more.

My first fast food experience ever

Growing up in the UK in the late 70s and 80s, it was almost impossible to get fast food that was halal. Definitely not like what it is today.

Back in the day, we lived in many different places when I was growing up, but I consider Bath to be my where I struck my roots.

As a kid you don’t really remember many things that were not within your immediate scope of experience. Everything was taken care of by your parents, and that is something I have go to remember again with my own children. Sometimes I expect them to be aware more of what is going on around them, but when I remember my own childhood, all we knew was we did what our parents told us, moved where they moved, went where they went etc.

Anyway, I’m rambling.

Back to what I was saying, It was literally impossible to get fast food, and all we could do was just imagine how the burgers would taste. Fries or chips was not too much of an issue because we were able to eat Fish and Chips, especially from Evans in the middle of town af…