Skip to main content

Once a teacher always a teacher?

I don't know whether it was meant to be, or if it was fate, or divine intervention.

Initially, I thought that I could focus a hundred percent on my PhD and not having to do anything anything else, but it soon became clearer and clearer that I was running out of options. My bank account was bleeding to death, and I knew I would soon follow if the situation were not remedied.

I tried a few things - tried to get marking jobs for lecturers, or to teach part-time in any university subjects.. any job at the university would have done.. but it just wasn't meant to be.
I was like a fish out of water. They didn't have TESL-related disciplines here, otherwise I could have done well.. In the College of Education they had art-related disciplines, of which I barely have any experience. Even the Drama in Education that I taught in UTM were language-based, and not arts-based. I couldn't teach English.. well.. because it's an English speaking-country! Or so I thought...

Answer to equation = I was screwed...

But one day, as I was looking through the job ads online my heart skipped a beat when I saw an advert for a language centre.. teaching foreign students! That was exactly my forte!!! I looked up the website and immediately liked what I saw... It was a nice, small centre, privately owned, and the pictures showed a nice cozy atmosphere... Immediately I knew I had to apply for it.

And so I did.

I put together the resume that I had previously used (quite an impressive one i must add!), and emailed it.

And to my surprise I got an answer the early next day!

It was a very pleasant response, very different to the formal responses I have had from bigger language centres in the past. I immediately liked the person on the other end, though I wasn't even sure who she was. As it turns out, she was the owner/operator of the language centre!
She immediately arranged for an appointment for the next day. I was impressed!

And my intuition was smack bang head on... Bronwyn Hardaker (the owner) was a pleasant lady in her 50s but still full of vibrant energy, something that I notice in most Kiwis, that they live long healthy lives, usually up to their 80s or 90s! She was warm and welcoming, and the best thing was that I could see she was genuinely pleased to have me there. It was certainly a nice change from language centre operators who are so high and mighty and think they are doing us a favour by giving us a job. In Bronwyn's case, her genuineness made me feel like I belonged, even though we had only just met. After a short discussion, she gave me a class to teach the next day, just to see how I would fit in.

Immediately I said yes.

Yes.. definitely divine intervention...

That I happened to find the advertisement..

That I am a fully qualified English language teacher in an English-speaking country...

That I am a native English language speaker by virtue of being born and raised in the UK...

Thanks for that Mum and Dad :)






SHARE THIS

Comments

Fauziah Ismail said…
Congratulations, bro. Do good. Do Malaysia proud.
Abdullah said…
Thanks sis! will definitely try to make my mark here.
Cat-in-Sydney said…
Good to see you're back blogging - actively. Ramadan Mubarak to you, Sir! roar! roar! roar!
Abdullah said…
Hey Angie.. Long time no see eh? hehehe.. yeah.. got settled in a bit so can free up my mind for a bit of blogging hehehe.. How have u been?
Cat-in-Sydney said…
Would you email us your contacts in Christchurch? We love that place so much that another trip may happen soon. roar! roar! roar!
Abdullah said…
Haha.. no worries.. would be my pleasure. Gimme ur email and I'll mail u my details.
Ahmad said…
...Dan sesiapa yang bertaqwa kepada Allah, nescaya Allah akan mengadakan baginya jalan keluar;Serta memberinya rezeki dari jalan yang tidak terlintas di hatinya. Dan sesiapa berserah diri bulat-bulat kepada Allah, maka Allah cukuplah baginya. (At-Talaq:2-3)
Cat-in-Sydney said…
Ahhh...Ramadan in winter in Christchurch. Challenging, eh? Email us catinsydney[at]gmail[dot]com. roar! roar! roar!
Gukita said…
Congratulations....
Hope you make the ends meet doing something you enjoy doing... It's like being paid for a hobby.. Good eh??
percicilan said…
alamak.. sorry sibuk ber-ramadan, lambat setapak. congratulations bro! and may your bank account bleed no more... and yes, once a teacher, always a teacher.. as i've learnt that.

eh try to look for this Japanese serial called GOKUSEN on you-tube.
try watching the serial from season 1. it's about a Japanese Mafia war lord punya cucu jadi cikgu... beautifully hilarious and inspiring!
syhcool said…
Next, do the same thing for the pandora jewerly right front side of the shirt.Once you have done Pandora Bangles both front sides of the shirt, you then will need pandora bead to do the back of the shirt. Take the shirt and place the back of the discount pandora shirt so that the direct middle is on the ironing board. The pandora sale back collar of the shirt should be right up at the edge discount pandora charms of the "head" of the ironing board or even slightly hanging off. Pull the bottom buy pandora bracelets of the shirt to create that taught resistance again and pandora beads charms begin to spray the shirt and iron in the opposite direction of pandora earrings the pull.

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness

How does one forgive someone who has done them and their loved ones so much wrong?

This is a question that I struggle with, and have always struggled with for a long time. 
How does one push past the pain and suffering that a person had willingly caused, worse yet, caused to someone that they loved. We stand at the sidelines, and feel ourselves slighted, yet the pain we feel is minuscule, compared to the earth-shattering hurt our loved one experiences. Yet we are powerless, drowning in a helplessness, grasping for any lifeline that can pull ourselves out from the deep. 
How can we let go when hatred is all we know. A hatred that festered from seeds of dislike. This poison that we feed ourselves. Yet it is all we know. 
How does one tell oneself to let go?
If a person murders your son, and returns a month later, saying he is genuinely sorry; what would you do? He comes in and says he will pay for the cleaning bill, to wipe the blood stains off the floor, and to send the carpet for dry…

The End

I am in a hotel room.

It is unclear who else is in the room. It must be my family. But I am uncertain. I know I am in the room with people I love.

The hotel room is in a building that towers above ground level, and we can see all the houses below.

I am in Hawaii I think. How I know that I do not know. All I know is that we are beside the ocean.

I feel unsettled as I look out the window. Something is compelling me to look outside the window. It is getting dark. But I know by right it should not be dark. It is midday. And then I see it.

In front of me a huge storm cloud is gathering. But I start to quiver because it looks like no ordinary storm. The clouds are pitch black. Black as death. My eyes follow their shape to where they originate. I gasp.

I see a gigantic water spout, a tornado in the ocean, funnelling its energy to the black cloud. The water spout is also pitch black. Rain now pours uncontrollably. It is a hurricane at its full blast, but not just that. It is much, much more.

Aku, Bini dan Ginger Beer

Aku haus...

Tekakku yang kering ini menginginkan rasanya yang menenangkan jiwa itu...

Perasaannya apabila ku menggenggam botol kacanya yang sejuk dan berwap-wap dan mengangkatnya keluar peti ais kecilku, perasaannya seperti seorang kanak-kanak Taman Keramat memegang aiskrim Malaysia 10sen pada hari yang panas membara...

Riang... Nikmat... Penantian yang menyiksakan, tetapi penantian yang lazat...

Dengan pergerakan yang perlahan seperti 'slow-motion' dalam sinetron Indonesia kegemaran surirumah-surirumah di Malaysia, muncung botol Ginger Beer kegemaranku mampir bibirku yang terketar-ketar sedikit, sehinggalah aku dapat rasa cecair yang sejuk membasahi tekakku...

Nikmat...

Sedap tidak terperi...

Aku menghulurkan kepada biniku, dan dia juga meneguk kenikmatan...

Aku menadah tangan meminta kembali Ginger Beer kesayanganku yang berjenama Bundaberg buatan New Zealand.

Saat itu tidak tiba-tiba...

Aku tertanya-tanya... Mata terkebil-kebil...

"Ni saya punya ya Bang..." ujar …