Skip to main content

Like a hammer

"Every soul shall taste death" (Holy Quran)

Death is inevitable. It is the other side of the coin for life. We know it, and acknowledge it.

Yet, when it hits we are never prepared.

Yesterday, my wife received news that her father had died - twice. One from a relative who was misinformed, at 7pm NZ time, when my father in law was actually still barely alive. One from my own father at 3am NZ time this morning, when it was confirmed that he had passed on.

And both times I saw her cry, like her heart had shattered into a million pieces. The anguish in her agonised sobs could not be hidden. All the pain and the frustration, the feeling of helplessness at not being able to do anything while being in another country thousands of miles away from home, tore from her very being.

And I was powerless to do anything.

I could only be there comfort her and wait for the storm to pass.

In my mind however, I was very thankful that we managed to do at least one thing. A few hours before, my father had been at my father in law's side, and managed to call us here in NZ. That was at 2am. My father had put the telephone at my father in law's ear. And Salmah told him that she loved him. We both asked for his forgiveness for any wrongdoings we had done. By this time Salmah was sobbing uncontrollably, and communication was cut. We weren't sure if her father had heard us.

A minute later I get this text from my father:

"I could see his forehead moved. A tear glistened. U both have done well." 

This was an hour before he passed.

The time is 3.45am. 

Death had come and gone, and had hit like a hammer to the head.

My father in law is gone.

My wife wipes the last of her tears, and looks at the clock.

And gets ready for work.


Comments

Cat-from-Sydney said…
My condolences to you both. May Allah SWT grants him jannah and peace in eternal life. Al-fatihah for your FIL.
Razee Salleh said…
Al Fatihah for the departed.

Times like these I wonder if there is anything that one could say in consolation.

What is important is that both of you loved him and he has surely loved you back.

Sometimes, a simple memory like this can keep you afloat in the loss. It certainly helped me in coping with my dad's passing years ago.

Stay strong ya.

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness

How does one forgive someone who has done them and their loved ones so much wrong?

This is a question that I struggle with, and have always struggled with for a long time. 
How does one push past the pain and suffering that a person had willingly caused, worse yet, caused to someone that they loved. We stand at the sidelines, and feel ourselves slighted, yet the pain we feel is minuscule, compared to the earth-shattering hurt our loved one experiences. Yet we are powerless, drowning in a helplessness, grasping for any lifeline that can pull ourselves out from the deep. 
How can we let go when hatred is all we know. A hatred that festered from seeds of dislike. This poison that we feed ourselves. Yet it is all we know. 
How does one tell oneself to let go?
If a person murders your son, and returns a month later, saying he is genuinely sorry; what would you do? He comes in and says he will pay for the cleaning bill, to wipe the blood stains off the floor, and to send the carpet for dry…

The End

I am in a hotel room.

It is unclear who else is in the room. It must be my family. But I am uncertain. I know I am in the room with people I love.

The hotel room is in a building that towers above ground level, and we can see all the houses below.

I am in Hawaii I think. How I know that I do not know. All I know is that we are beside the ocean.

I feel unsettled as I look out the window. Something is compelling me to look outside the window. It is getting dark. But I know by right it should not be dark. It is midday. And then I see it.

In front of me a huge storm cloud is gathering. But I start to quiver because it looks like no ordinary storm. The clouds are pitch black. Black as death. My eyes follow their shape to where they originate. I gasp.

I see a gigantic water spout, a tornado in the ocean, funnelling its energy to the black cloud. The water spout is also pitch black. Rain now pours uncontrollably. It is a hurricane at its full blast, but not just that. It is much, much more.

My first fast food experience ever

Growing up in the UK in the late 70s and 80s, it was almost impossible to get fast food that was halal. Definitely not like what it is today.

Back in the day, we lived in many different places when I was growing up, but I consider Bath to be my where I struck my roots.

As a kid you don’t really remember many things that were not within your immediate scope of experience. Everything was taken care of by your parents, and that is something I have go to remember again with my own children. Sometimes I expect them to be aware more of what is going on around them, but when I remember my own childhood, all we knew was we did what our parents told us, moved where they moved, went where they went etc.

Anyway, I’m rambling.

Back to what I was saying, It was literally impossible to get fast food, and all we could do was just imagine how the burgers would taste. Fries or chips was not too much of an issue because we were able to eat Fish and Chips, especially from Evans in the middle of town af…