Skip to main content

The Broken Toe Diaries: Day 3 - Trying to achieve normalcy

Two days ago, I broke my little toe, and fractured the toes beside it in 2 different places, after slamming it into a doorframe, while I was half asleep and rushing to see what my baby son was crying about. Turns out his mother was in the room with him, but was preparing my other 2 sons to go to school. So the baby was just being a baby.

And I had broken my toes for nothing.

It wasn't much fun, and it hurt like having a steamroller have its way with my foot.

Fast forward the first 2 days of absolute misery, waiting on a wheelchair at 2 different clinics and lastly the hospital. Fast forward the day after in my PJs, feeling painful, and miserable, full of self-pity and loss of self-worth.

It is now Day 3. The deadline is closing in and I have so much that I haven't done. We are leaving NZ for good in just over 3 weeks' time. So much to do. Packing. Shipping. Writing PhD.

Most pressing is the fact that I have to sell my beloved Honda Odyssey in a few days' time, and I told the buyer that I would have it in tip-top shape before passing him the keys. This meant that I had to change a tyre, send the car for a warrant of inspection, and even as a token of goodwill, pay for a month of the rego (a.k.a vehicle license/road tax). All a walk in the park and could be done in a single full day - provided that one was not on crutches, as I was soon to discover.

This morning I woke up and desperately wanted to shake off this wave of self-pity that was starting to take a grip starting from yesterday. I knew that I needed to do something normal to prove to myself that I was still able to do things, and not just depend on my overtired, overworked wife, who, bless her soul, gets up at 3.30am, goes to work, comes back 7am, gets the kids ready, sends the kids to school, gets back, clears the house, takes care of the baby, packs, cooks, and now, takes care of her husband who is much use around the house anymore.

At around 11am, I saw that she had dropped off to make up for some lost sleep. I was glad because at least she was getting some sleep. And I was also glad because it was now time to make my move. I knew she would disapprove of me getting up on my feet and going about town just 2 days after I had broken my toes.

I showered first. A very, very difficult thing to do apparently if you have to cover your foot with a plastic bag and not get your bandages wet. And not put too much pressure on the foot. And having to angle the foot all the time. And having to shower sitting on a chair.

Putting on normal, everyday clothes instead of being in your PJs all day really helps, I find. It puts you in a state of mind that is prepared to do things, rather than just be helpless, lie down, and mope.

Once I'd achieved all this, I took my crutches and hobbled down the stairs quickly before Salmah woke up. With a great deal of effort, I got into the car, and drove off.

Here is what I did:

I went to the bank to draw money from Malaysia to pay off the credit card. I went to the tyre shop to change the tyre, but was told I'd have to come back tomorrow because they were full. I bought some food. I went to the butcher's to buy some meat. I drove home.

Here is what I discovered:

i) Going ANYWHERE is hard if you're on crutches.  My crutch skills were improving, but it was still SO hard to go anywhere. If you want to get in and out of your car, it takes a superb amount of skill, effort and patience, especially if there is an inconsiderate bastard who happens to park just beside you. You move between hopping and hobbling, hoping for all that you are worth that you don't bang the foot into anything, and that you don't end up putting too much pressure on it. And some people manage to make it look easy. I don't know how they do that. Perhaps they went to crutch bootcamp or were trained by the CIA.

ii) You have nowhere to hold your plastic bags/groceries/food. This one I discovered the hard way today. I bought food. I went to the butcher's. First WTF moment was when I discovered I had almost no way of carrying the stuff I had just bought to the car. After a few minutes of not really knowing what to do, I decided to hang the plastic bag on my crutch handles. And then hobble slowly to the car. Nailed it. But then when I got home, I realised I had the meat, and also the food I had bought, to bring from the car to the stairs, then up the stairs, and then into the apartment. Took me a bloody 15 minutes to figure out how to do this, and to actually do it. Lesson - next time, always take a backpack/satchel.

iii) Keeping your weight off your foot means exactly that. I thought I could do a semi-off your foot. So hobble a bit. Hop a bit. Step using heel a bit. Drive a bit. NO. Sorry. It doesn't work that way. When I arrived home my foot had ballooned to the size of a wombat. Must have been the driving, because the Odyssey props you up straighter, and puts more weight on your feet. I hope I haven't done anything permanently damaging.

iv) People surprise you. At the bank, someone held the door of the car open. Inside the bank, the cashier was very nice and sympathetic. At the tyre shop the dude held the door open. And then you build some expectations that people are going to help wherever you go. Until you go to places where people don't help. Then they surprise you as well. And you'd think they were assholes.

v) Your wife goes on a guilt trip when she finds out you snuck off while she was sleeping. And she makes you promise not to do it again, because, yeah you're not supposed to do it, and yeah, your foot is now the size of a wombat.

Now it is 2.15 of Day 3. Still a month plus expected for the duration of this sentence.


akmalanuar said…
It was really difficult to move around when your feet's hurt...maybe you can help your wife by massage her leg, feet or her shoulder...
Very considerate thinking of you Akmal :)
Siti Sheikh said…
aw I actually think this is a 'sweetly written entry' (if there is such word as 'sweetly' that is..) Touching indeed , things that a man would do to ease his wife's long list of things to do and things that a mother and a wife had to do to keep things together ....that is life I guess :O)
Lobo I've been on crutches with whole leg cast more than 3 times in my life, so I do understand how hard it is to 'live' with it .. but believe me after awhile you'll get the hang of it :O)
Ni semua ujian Allah and will only make you and Sal stronger... you can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will all be worth it :O) balik Mesia nanti InsyaAllah better pay and opportunities shall await you and Sal.... Take care ..KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON ...
Amin ya Rabb..
Thanks Siti. It is a challenge indeed.. one that we have to traverse at some point in time or other in our lives. It is so very important to have the support of a loving spouse. Alhamdulillah I am blessed.
Amin ya Rabb..
Thanks Siti. It is a challenge indeed.. one that we have to traverse at some point in time or other in our lives. It is so very important to have the support of a loving spouse. Alhamdulillah I am blessed.

Popular posts from this blog


How does one forgive someone who has done them and their loved ones so much wrong?

This is a question that I struggle with, and have always struggled with for a long time. 
How does one push past the pain and suffering that a person had willingly caused, worse yet, caused to someone that they loved. We stand at the sidelines, and feel ourselves slighted, yet the pain we feel is minuscule, compared to the earth-shattering hurt our loved one experiences. Yet we are powerless, drowning in a helplessness, grasping for any lifeline that can pull ourselves out from the deep. 
How can we let go when hatred is all we know. A hatred that festered from seeds of dislike. This poison that we feed ourselves. Yet it is all we know. 
How does one tell oneself to let go?
If a person murders your son, and returns a month later, saying he is genuinely sorry; what would you do? He comes in and says he will pay for the cleaning bill, to wipe the blood stains off the floor, and to send the carpet for dry…

The End

I am in a hotel room.

It is unclear who else is in the room. It must be my family. But I am uncertain. I know I am in the room with people I love.

The hotel room is in a building that towers above ground level, and we can see all the houses below.

I am in Hawaii I think. How I know that I do not know. All I know is that we are beside the ocean.

I feel unsettled as I look out the window. Something is compelling me to look outside the window. It is getting dark. But I know by right it should not be dark. It is midday. And then I see it.

In front of me a huge storm cloud is gathering. But I start to quiver because it looks like no ordinary storm. The clouds are pitch black. Black as death. My eyes follow their shape to where they originate. I gasp.

I see a gigantic water spout, a tornado in the ocean, funnelling its energy to the black cloud. The water spout is also pitch black. Rain now pours uncontrollably. It is a hurricane at its full blast, but not just that. It is much, much more.

Aku, Bini dan Ginger Beer

Aku haus...

Tekakku yang kering ini menginginkan rasanya yang menenangkan jiwa itu...

Perasaannya apabila ku menggenggam botol kacanya yang sejuk dan berwap-wap dan mengangkatnya keluar peti ais kecilku, perasaannya seperti seorang kanak-kanak Taman Keramat memegang aiskrim Malaysia 10sen pada hari yang panas membara...

Riang... Nikmat... Penantian yang menyiksakan, tetapi penantian yang lazat...

Dengan pergerakan yang perlahan seperti 'slow-motion' dalam sinetron Indonesia kegemaran surirumah-surirumah di Malaysia, muncung botol Ginger Beer kegemaranku mampir bibirku yang terketar-ketar sedikit, sehinggalah aku dapat rasa cecair yang sejuk membasahi tekakku...


Sedap tidak terperi...

Aku menghulurkan kepada biniku, dan dia juga meneguk kenikmatan...

Aku menadah tangan meminta kembali Ginger Beer kesayanganku yang berjenama Bundaberg buatan New Zealand.

Saat itu tidak tiba-tiba...

Aku tertanya-tanya... Mata terkebil-kebil...

"Ni saya punya ya Bang..." ujar …