Skip to main content

The End



I am in a hotel room.

It is unclear who else is in the room. It must be my family. But I am uncertain. I know I am in the room with people I love.

The hotel room is in a building that towers above ground level, and we can see all the houses below.

I am in Hawaii I think. How I know that I do not know. All I know is that we are beside the ocean.

I feel unsettled as I look out the window. Something is compelling me to look outside the window. It is getting dark. But I know by right it should not be dark. It is midday. And then I see it.

In front of me a huge storm cloud is gathering. But I start to quiver because it looks like no ordinary storm. The clouds are pitch black. Black as death. My eyes follow their shape to where they originate. I gasp.

I see a gigantic water spout, a tornado in the ocean, funnelling its energy to the black cloud. The water spout is also pitch black. Rain now pours uncontrollably. It is a hurricane at its full blast, but not just that. It is much, much more.

I tell myself I must be dreaming, and I try to will myself out of this dream state. I fail.

This must be real. It must be happening.

I look at my family and tell them to come close to me. I know that this will be all the time that I have left with them.

And then I see it from across the distance.

A huge wall of water coming towards where we are. I can only watch in horror as the tsunami crashes into all the houses below, wave after wave, until the tower we are in is the only structure that is standing in the middle of an unending body of water.

I embrace my family.

Could it be that we survived this nightmare?

And then it comes.

A huge wave, taller than a skyscraper builds from our left. I know that this one would be the one that finishes us. Impossibly, another gigantic wave comes from our right.

I wait for impact.

Perhaps it has already impacted.

I do not know.

Time suddenly stands still. The laws of physics, space and time, no longer matter.

I see something in front of me.

It is a staircase. Full of thousands of people. Moving up. The stairs are a different colour than what I know my mind can perceive. It is otherworldly, but not in the way that people describe a ‘glowing light’.

I join the throng, moving up on the stairs, that somehow self propel us, upwards towards an unknown destination.

We move up and I see a gate, like those one sees at airports. I see a guard check people as they enter two by two.  It all happens so fast.

Soon I am at the gate. The guard takes a look at the person beside me, and looks at me. He takes a rubber stamp and brands my forehead and says “You’re fucked”.

What does this mean?

I panic. Does this mean what I think it means?

I look behind me. The person on the left gets stamped.  The person on the right does not.

No. No. NO...

I look for my family. They are not beside me.

Where are they going?

WHERE AM I GOING?

.
..
...

I wake up. Heart pounding. It is 6.30am.
I am still alive. I am not yet doomed.

There is time.



*Image credit here 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help is always far away

Help is never far away. That is the old adage that has been drummed into us ever since we were young. No matter where you are, and what difficulty you are going through, someone will be close at hand to help. Except they aren't. Many a time no one in your vicinity gives a rat's ass. Or could be in a mess of their own to even think that someone else may need the support. Just that little bit of assurance to show that they care. Sometimes it can be in the smallest things. A kind word. A check up of how one is doing. Yet help does come. Someone takes the time to respond, in short messages, all the way from across the Pacific Ocean. Someone does take the time to relate, and share their own experiences, and offers words of comfort from across the country. Yes, help is at hand, but it is always far away. *picture credit here

The Forbidden Kingdom No More

Yesterday is a day that would forever go down the sands of time as... "The Day I Fed Two Hundred Ravenous Mouths with Bottomless Pits" Oh the horror!... The Pain!... The Suffering!!! Like a swarm of locusts they came, wave upon wave upon wave... Like a farmer protecting his crop I could only look on and stare, as they darkened the sky, before zeroing in for the kill... Tears streamed down my eyes as I watched them strip every last grain of maize and corn that I had planted at the begininning of the year... My knees thudded to the ground, as I numbly watched the carnage around me, my tired brain barely registering what my eyes perceived. "So this is what it feels like"... I thought in my brain... "This thing called Open House" . .. ... Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I'm just being dramatic here ;) Yesterday was actually a day that I'm going to remember for a long time, simply because it was graced with the presence of those eager young minds I he

My nightmare come true

This is it. It's finally happened. The stuff of bad dreams for many language teachers has today materialised for me, rearing its ugly head, scoffing at my abilities as a language professional. This is an actual letter from one of my students as part of their coursework. Final year student. Soon to graduate and meet the workforce of the nation. Read it and weep...