Skip to main content

The Birthday



Birthdays in my family are usually a happy time - not because we'd have an over the top party or anything, but because it would be the time when the whole family would usually be together, just the share pizza and cake (if for no better reason).

Yesterday was my sister Huda's birthday (Huda the genius - definitely my father's genes all over), but we celebrated it today. Before the party I had the task of looking for her birthday present... The thing is, it's kind of hard to buy presents for girls - buy them a dress and it's not their colour...buy them a skirt and it doesn't fit...so on and so on...so what did I do? Called up the wife and asked for Huda's shoe size...called up my sister Salihah and asked her Huda's shoe size...and bought the safest pair of shoes that were fashionable and could be worn with most colour combinations (and on sale of course!)...hehehehehe... I was so glad she liked them!

However, the party itself was where it hit me the most... all the places that were usually occupied were empty...

My dad was in KL on business, Sameerah & Bruce were in KL; Ammar, Nad & little Aimie, were in KL; Salihah was in UITM Shah Alam; Omer was in MRSM Mersing... I wondered if this was how things were going to be in the future, and with a sense of acceptance, I realised that this is how life was, and will always be...

We only have a short amount of time where we can enjoy being together in the nest of the family, before we all sprout wings and fly away...

I miss my family...


Comments

Yana Ismail said…
Alaahai. Tibe2 sedih baca ;(

i miss my family too..waaaa...rasa nak meraung2 dlm blog sir. ;P

Happy belated birthday Huda..;)
mesti sonok dpt new shoes. huhu
izzati fuad said…
yea. i know the feeling. suddenly, to have everyone at the same time is so rare.

itu baru 2 orang yang kahwin.
Anonymous said…
so far apart, but close at heart ! that matter the most!
A t i Q a h said…
Nanti masa semua orang dapat berkumpul, that will be the happiest moment ever. Kan sir. :)
Liyana,
jangan meraung..nnt basah laptop baru ;)

Ijat,
Nnt u dah kahwin lagilah...

Lina,
true... :)

Atiqah,
Those moments are always the sweetest..
Gukita said…
Bang,

Whatever you have, grab it and dont give in to negative thoughts. If you have to wait for all to be free before deciding to celebrate anything, that is a mistake. When you are content with what there is, you'll be ready to be overjoyed when you have a larger representation. Doesnt work other way..

I'm sure Huda is grateful for your remembrance.. Give her my salam.. To Sal too and of course Adel..
Thanks Pakcik Ali... :)

Popular posts from this blog

Help is always far away

Help is never far away. That is the old adage that has been drummed into us ever since we were young. No matter where you are, and what difficulty you are going through, someone will be close at hand to help. Except they aren't. Many a time no one in your vicinity gives a rat's ass. Or could be in a mess of their own to even think that someone else may need the support. Just that little bit of assurance to show that they care. Sometimes it can be in the smallest things. A kind word. A check up of how one is doing. Yet help does come. Someone takes the time to respond, in short messages, all the way from across the Pacific Ocean. Someone does take the time to relate, and share their own experiences, and offers words of comfort from across the country. Yes, help is at hand, but it is always far away. *picture credit here

The Forbidden Kingdom No More

Yesterday is a day that would forever go down the sands of time as... "The Day I Fed Two Hundred Ravenous Mouths with Bottomless Pits" Oh the horror!... The Pain!... The Suffering!!! Like a swarm of locusts they came, wave upon wave upon wave... Like a farmer protecting his crop I could only look on and stare, as they darkened the sky, before zeroing in for the kill... Tears streamed down my eyes as I watched them strip every last grain of maize and corn that I had planted at the begininning of the year... My knees thudded to the ground, as I numbly watched the carnage around me, my tired brain barely registering what my eyes perceived. "So this is what it feels like"... I thought in my brain... "This thing called Open House" . .. ... Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I'm just being dramatic here ;) Yesterday was actually a day that I'm going to remember for a long time, simply because it was graced with the presence of those eager young minds I he

My nightmare come true

This is it. It's finally happened. The stuff of bad dreams for many language teachers has today materialised for me, rearing its ugly head, scoffing at my abilities as a language professional. This is an actual letter from one of my students as part of their coursework. Final year student. Soon to graduate and meet the workforce of the nation. Read it and weep...