Skip to main content

Of parents and Ramadhan



Ever since I can remember, especially in my younger days in the UK, Ramadhan for my household had always been a solemn affair - especially to a young boy of pre-teen years, who would rather be outside the house playing with his friends, or simply idling and wasting time - what young boys like to do.

But of course, this month was different from other months, and I would notice a big change in my parents. They would seem quieter and more inward-focussed than usual, busying themselves with prayer and other religious duties. I used to remember my father telling us that during the month we shouldn't be too frivolous in our actions, and that we should not watch too much TV, or get lost in too much entertainment. Instead we should devote ourselves to Allah, thinking about Him and how to please Him in every way we can. This we did by increasing our readings of the Quran. 
In fact this was what was expected of us, and this my father ingrained into us every day. 
When it was nearing Maghrib, he would make it a point to sit down in the living room and start reciting the Quran in full view of all his children, which would be a cue for us to sit down and read the Quran too. 
In fact, during Ramadhan, rarely did I see my father without the Quran. He even brought a small Quran every where he went, and would read it whenever he had time.

If Dad led by example and discipline, Mum taught by teaching and explaining.

I remember as a child Mum reading books to me. However, it wasn't the normal assortment of storybooks that she would read (Oh, we had an ample supply of those too, courtesy of Mum and Dad). We had books ranging from Enid Blyton to stories of the prophets, and during one Ramadhan (when I was around 9 I think) Mum introduced me to books on Allah.. of good deeds and Heaven... of sin and Hell.

I was fascinated by these books... I read with absolute wonder the descriptions of Allah and Paradise, and I cringed in fear at the descriptions of the Jahannam...The Hellfire. It was here that I spent countless hours discussing with my mother how to go to Heaven, and it was here she explained that it was simple - Please Allah. Do good deeds.

So started my journey in the appreciation of the true meaning of Ramadhan, at 9 years of age.

My parents trained me well, alhamdulillah.






Comments

azie said…
happy fasting sir:)

erm, how does it feels, fasting in new home?ehehe
Fauziah Ismail said…
Salam Abdullah
Fasting has become second nature to us Muslims because we were trained from young. I started fasting when I was six years old, lured of course by the RM1 a day bait my father cast. Those were the days where we spent a lot of time in the bilik air, not to drink the tap water, but to cool off during the hot weather. We were introduced to the Quran and Cerita Nabi2.
The only thing my parents couldn’t instill in me and my brother was the need for sahur. Rather than having us asleep next to our plate of rice at the dining table, my father decided that we were better off sleeping in our beds.
This year, because of the need to take medication, I tried to wake up for sahur starting on the first day.
I set the alarm for 5.15am, only to wake up to switch it off and went back to bed. I woke up half an hour later after Imsak but still in time for Subuh prayers.
Now, I take the medication after buka instead.
Lucky to have such parents, haven't we?
izzati fuad said…
alhamdulillah. and i wonder if i can do the same to my children like what my parents did.

selamat berpuasa, cik lah! :D
Yana Ismail said…
We're lucky:)...

Selamat berpuasa Sir!jgn ponteng..hik2
Azie,
It's the best! :)

Atiqah,
Alhamdulillah, Allah has indeed blessed us

Ijat,
I am facing that dilemma now..I'm finding it much more difficult than I actually expected it to be

Princess,
Nanat kalau ponteng x boleh ambil exam..
Salam fauziah,

I remember doing that as well, when I had just come back from the UK.. I would spend countless hours just lying on the floor near the bathroom, and not forgetting the amount of baths I would take.. probably drove my grandma bonkers just seeing the water bill during Ramadhan.

Sahur for me would be one of the best experiences of fasting, especially if I get to take my sahur at my parents'house (during my unmarried days).. In fact, it would be a tradition for me that if I were in Malaysia during the fasting month, no matter where I was, I would make it to my parents' house in time for first sahur, perhaps even arriving home at 3 or 4am after a 7-hour drive..

Fasting tradition at its best :)
izzati fuad said…
i dont wanna get married la. takot. heh.
Gukita said…
Bang... They were well trained too. This should be passed down to your son and become a culture; a culture for the family.

Popular posts from this blog

Help is always far away

Help is never far away. That is the old adage that has been drummed into us ever since we were young. No matter where you are, and what difficulty you are going through, someone will be close at hand to help. Except they aren't. Many a time no one in your vicinity gives a rat's ass. Or could be in a mess of their own to even think that someone else may need the support. Just that little bit of assurance to show that they care. Sometimes it can be in the smallest things. A kind word. A check up of how one is doing. Yet help does come. Someone takes the time to respond, in short messages, all the way from across the Pacific Ocean. Someone does take the time to relate, and share their own experiences, and offers words of comfort from across the country. Yes, help is at hand, but it is always far away. *picture credit here

The Forbidden Kingdom No More

Yesterday is a day that would forever go down the sands of time as... "The Day I Fed Two Hundred Ravenous Mouths with Bottomless Pits" Oh the horror!... The Pain!... The Suffering!!! Like a swarm of locusts they came, wave upon wave upon wave... Like a farmer protecting his crop I could only look on and stare, as they darkened the sky, before zeroing in for the kill... Tears streamed down my eyes as I watched them strip every last grain of maize and corn that I had planted at the begininning of the year... My knees thudded to the ground, as I numbly watched the carnage around me, my tired brain barely registering what my eyes perceived. "So this is what it feels like"... I thought in my brain... "This thing called Open House" . .. ... Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I'm just being dramatic here ;) Yesterday was actually a day that I'm going to remember for a long time, simply because it was graced with the presence of those eager young minds I he

My nightmare come true

This is it. It's finally happened. The stuff of bad dreams for many language teachers has today materialised for me, rearing its ugly head, scoffing at my abilities as a language professional. This is an actual letter from one of my students as part of their coursework. Final year student. Soon to graduate and meet the workforce of the nation. Read it and weep...