Skip to main content

Return of the MC

Sounds like a line from a rap song doesn't it?

But no...This time it isn't. The MC in question here is me.

Lately I've been getting a lot of requests to become MC (Master of Ceremonies) for official UTM functions. The last one I had to do was barely two weeks ago... But I really had a lot of fun for that one. It was entitled "Hi-Tea With Her Royal Highness Raja Zarith Sofiah", and yes, I did meet Her Royal Highness and chat for a bit with her. In many ways, she surprised me more than I would care to admit... For so many years, at the end of our Friday Prayers, the Imam would recite a du'a which would be considered strange to people who are not from Johor, because at the end of the du'a, the imam would launch into a roll-call of all the members of the Johor Royalty, asking the Almighty to bless each and every one of them... The interesting thing is in my observations, many people would just simply zone off at this point, simply because for many people, the Royalty was a detached institution for which had no real relevance to many...It seemed like they were just names that one would hear after prayers, and faces that one would occasionally see in the news...

But that all changed for me that day.

Her Highness was charming, and welcoming, and...strangely approachable. It was just a pleasure being in her company, hearing her speak English with a pleasant tinge of an English accent... And the readings she would quote when responding to particular questions put forward by the international students she was having tea with. She was in every word a princess.

All this I watched by the sidelines, beside my post at the rostrum. The ever-ready Master of Ceremonies, attentive and alert, should the need arise for announcements or interactions between the attendees of the event, or if the event needed a little spice...

I have learned to accept that I am good at this job, and have gained recognition for it, even in the upper echelons of the University, and beyond...

Another MC job for me in KL?

A minister attending you say?

And the Vice-Chancellors of every major university in the country?

.

..

...

Bring it on, I say..

It's the return of the MC.

Comments

Yana Ismail said…
huhu:)you're the best Sir!
A t i Q a h said…
Bring it on, bring it on, bring it on.
Beeezzz...!

err..this was my group cheer in Taman Rinting English in Camp. Hahaha.
azie said…
wah!
best gitu

u have the voice n the talent to be an MC. so i have no doubt u can do it:)

best of luck:)

p/s: de amik gambo tak ngan pricess johor tuh?
Princess,
(Speechless, blushing)Awwww...shucks...

Atiqah,
Go Team!!!!

Azie,
(Blushing even harder, twiddling feet)Awwwww...Shucks again....

p.s: One of the disadvantages of emceeing, we are usually at the sidelines away from all the action...so x nampaklah gambar I dgn princess (the real one I mean, not Liyana ) ;)
Missus A said…
MC Forum Perdana nak?
hehehe
CC,
Just put a songkok on me and watch me go. ;)
izzati fuad said…
cool!will be going to KL then? hehe..

all the best dear sir. and, did you put a little bit of drama effect here and there mase jadi mc? if so, thats even cooler. hehe
azie said…
sir,
u always blushed and twiddled ur feet whenever ai give u compliment. just once, can u do it in front of me?ahahahah..must be very cute,ahahahaha.
Ijat,
Yup...I'm currently in KL..it's night time and we still haven't finished preparing for tomorrow..
Dramatic effects tu kalau ikut hati nak buat, tapi takut kena pelangkung dgn VC...


Azie,
Blushing and twiddling feet can only be done in the cyberworld...heheheh
Syafiq Suraji said…
wow!!!im so proud dat u r my lecturer...take me as ur apprentice...then i,ll become the mc for queen of England birthday...bring it on y'all...haha
Syafiq,
Bring me a larger super supreme pizza, and we'll talk... ;)
Syafiq Suraji said…
here,s ur pizza sir...
ur wish is my command...haha..
eerr...don 4get..A+ for my final huh.
haha
Count Byron said…
Well done Son. UTM has found the best.
Gukita said…
Waahhh... That quite a height the basket was raised, hope it never fall becoz the higher you go, the heavier you fall... hehehe
Btw I used to feel the same regarding prayer to the Royal but now... If it is for the good, why not? Does it matter if it is for them or others? We wish good for everybody. A good royal must be better than bad one, so why cringe at saying ameen to the prayer?
Dad,
Thank you.. :)
It's also due to your training.

Pakcik Ali,
You're absolutely right.. In retrospect, prayers for royals are in fact beneficial to everyone... No more cringing for me :)
MOHD FAUZI said…
salam..lepasni sir kena jaga suara macam penyanyilah...minum air suam dll..sbb bila-bila masa org akan panggil jd MC...suara emas...tahniah sir
thanks God it aint Mariah Carey! huhu
Fauzi!
Nice to see you on this site!
Hehehehehe...tengkiu2...

Jerry,
welcome to my site...and ditto on mariah carey! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Help is always far away

Help is never far away. That is the old adage that has been drummed into us ever since we were young. No matter where you are, and what difficulty you are going through, someone will be close at hand to help. Except they aren't. Many a time no one in your vicinity gives a rat's ass. Or could be in a mess of their own to even think that someone else may need the support. Just that little bit of assurance to show that they care. Sometimes it can be in the smallest things. A kind word. A check up of how one is doing. Yet help does come. Someone takes the time to respond, in short messages, all the way from across the Pacific Ocean. Someone does take the time to relate, and share their own experiences, and offers words of comfort from across the country. Yes, help is at hand, but it is always far away. *picture credit here

The Forbidden Kingdom No More

Yesterday is a day that would forever go down the sands of time as... "The Day I Fed Two Hundred Ravenous Mouths with Bottomless Pits" Oh the horror!... The Pain!... The Suffering!!! Like a swarm of locusts they came, wave upon wave upon wave... Like a farmer protecting his crop I could only look on and stare, as they darkened the sky, before zeroing in for the kill... Tears streamed down my eyes as I watched them strip every last grain of maize and corn that I had planted at the begininning of the year... My knees thudded to the ground, as I numbly watched the carnage around me, my tired brain barely registering what my eyes perceived. "So this is what it feels like"... I thought in my brain... "This thing called Open House" . .. ... Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I'm just being dramatic here ;) Yesterday was actually a day that I'm going to remember for a long time, simply because it was graced with the presence of those eager young minds I he

My nightmare come true

This is it. It's finally happened. The stuff of bad dreams for many language teachers has today materialised for me, rearing its ugly head, scoffing at my abilities as a language professional. This is an actual letter from one of my students as part of their coursework. Final year student. Soon to graduate and meet the workforce of the nation. Read it and weep...