Skip to main content

The Ones That Got Away: School daze

NOTE: Before proceeding, it is of paramount importance that this post is a reflection of memories, not of regrets...especially when one is happily married. In this life, there is precious little time to waste on regrets. There are incidents and lessons we learn, before we move on, taking with us precious memories along the way.

***

Within each and every adult there would be bits and pieces of certain memories that they treasure. Memories of times gone by, memories of people they had known, and for many, memories of the ones they would forever remember as 'The Ones That Got Away".

I must admit, I do carry a few of these in my mind, though the one that I will always tell with an air of Greek tragedy would be my first.

High school. Final year. Exams looming in the horizon.
I knew that I needed help with my chemistry, and I needed it quick! In my mind, there was only one person that I could depend on for help - my best (girl) friend (This distinction is very important because I also had a best friend who was a guy).

Now, there was a big problem that I had back then ( I think many people go through this phase), which was that I had a thing for her... Every time I looked at her my heart would skip a beat, and my senses would temporarily leave me every time she was near (of course all this would happen on the inside, leaving the outside looking suave, unaffected, and as cool as a cucumber.

I recall those times with fondness. We used to hang out together, study together, play tennis together... Just generally enjoying each other's company. We even loved the same music, and would spend hours just playing the guitar and singing, sometimes well into the evening.
We even had a favourite song together.

Because of this, it was like the whole school was caught up in a rapture of gossip. I know it's unbelievable, but it was like we were a Hollywood celebrity couple, me the mysterious new boy who had just come from abroad, and her the most beautiful girl in school... And not unlike a Hollywood celebrity couple, people everywhere were asking the question "Are they or aren't they?"... I would get asked by small kids 14 or 15 years old, asking me if we were a couple... I even got hauled up into the teacher's room by TEACHERS who wanted to know the latest scoop...
It was like a media circus!...
And I didn't know whether to be flattered or annoyed...

However, I don't think she cared for it too much. She already had a boyfriend (of course), but it wasn't that well known.

As for me, I would bide my time, because at the back of my mind, I knew that she and I would eventually be together.

Even if she didn't know it yet...

Comments

Galadriel said…
Well.. well.. well... whadya know..!
I do remember seeing a hole the size of a fist on a blackboard in one of the classrooms...
All these years, even back then,
She said.."I've always known..", both with their ego the size of mount kinabalu...ha ha, or maybe just too scared of spoiling the almost perfect plutonic relationship
Too bad he opened up to her a teeny bit too late..
But in her heart she knows "she's always on his mind" just like he is in hers..and they're still "together" in a wonderfull friendship..
after all these years...
Abdullah said…
Galadriel,

I too remember the hole in the blackboard...all too well, I'm afraid... Ah...the price of fame, and the jealousy of the common people...hehe..

And it's a nice thought to know that they are still 'together' in a sense, after all these years... and to be able to finally say something about it...

after all these years :)

Stick around for the next part of the story...

One I call "The tryst of Frankfurt"
Gukita said…
Bang,

Such memories last forever. Hope it wont go the way of memories as in `The Never Ending Story 2'.. I wouldnt ask for the ending for that would be spoilt sport; the best part of the story is in the suspense.. :-)
Abdullah said…
Pakcik Ali,

You have to sit back and wait for the sequel...hehehehe...
Princess Liyana said…
can't wait to read the suspense part sir;)uhuhu

as cool as a cucumber?huhu..sounds really cool;)

hihi..sometimes, when we have that 'thing' towards someone, we just don't have the guts to say it out loud...hihi..am i right?
azie said…
wowowowowowowo


erm, adeh...


this story, reminds me of the memories i had back in school.

how i wish i cud turn back time:-)
Abdullah said…
Liyana,
You know, there are just so many things we could have done, if only we had the courage and maturity to say them out loud... :)

Azie,
Seems like it's the story of everyone's life eh?

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness

How does one forgive someone who has done them and their loved ones so much wrong?

This is a question that I struggle with, and have always struggled with for a long time. 
How does one push past the pain and suffering that a person had willingly caused, worse yet, caused to someone that they loved. We stand at the sidelines, and feel ourselves slighted, yet the pain we feel is minuscule, compared to the earth-shattering hurt our loved one experiences. Yet we are powerless, drowning in a helplessness, grasping for any lifeline that can pull ourselves out from the deep. 
How can we let go when hatred is all we know. A hatred that festered from seeds of dislike. This poison that we feed ourselves. Yet it is all we know. 
How does one tell oneself to let go?
If a person murders your son, and returns a month later, saying he is genuinely sorry; what would you do? He comes in and says he will pay for the cleaning bill, to wipe the blood stains off the floor, and to send the carpet for dry…

The End

I am in a hotel room.

It is unclear who else is in the room. It must be my family. But I am uncertain. I know I am in the room with people I love.

The hotel room is in a building that towers above ground level, and we can see all the houses below.

I am in Hawaii I think. How I know that I do not know. All I know is that we are beside the ocean.

I feel unsettled as I look out the window. Something is compelling me to look outside the window. It is getting dark. But I know by right it should not be dark. It is midday. And then I see it.

In front of me a huge storm cloud is gathering. But I start to quiver because it looks like no ordinary storm. The clouds are pitch black. Black as death. My eyes follow their shape to where they originate. I gasp.

I see a gigantic water spout, a tornado in the ocean, funnelling its energy to the black cloud. The water spout is also pitch black. Rain now pours uncontrollably. It is a hurricane at its full blast, but not just that. It is much, much more.

My first fast food experience ever

Growing up in the UK in the late 70s and 80s, it was almost impossible to get fast food that was halal. Definitely not like what it is today.

Back in the day, we lived in many different places when I was growing up, but I consider Bath to be my where I struck my roots.

As a kid you don’t really remember many things that were not within your immediate scope of experience. Everything was taken care of by your parents, and that is something I have go to remember again with my own children. Sometimes I expect them to be aware more of what is going on around them, but when I remember my own childhood, all we knew was we did what our parents told us, moved where they moved, went where they went etc.

Anyway, I’m rambling.

Back to what I was saying, It was literally impossible to get fast food, and all we could do was just imagine how the burgers would taste. Fries or chips was not too much of an issue because we were able to eat Fish and Chips, especially from Evans in the middle of town af…